Because even during those lucky months in the up-and-down of self-employment, even though I’m just kind of floating around with my camera and my passport, with no need to pay rent or bills as I was this time last year, there’s always about one-thousand more things on my shopping wish list than I can possibly afford. Even if I were to sell my kidney, it just wouldn’t be enough. Sigh.
- Fendi. Striped Sherling and Calf Hair Tote. £2770. Available here. A girl can always use a new handbag, and this one, frankly, is stunning. I’ve always ‘played it safe’ with my handbags, sticking to blacks or browns or, if I’m feeling daring, a deep red leather. Perhaps it is about time that I move into patterned territory, and I think this striped Fendi bag would be a good place to start. Let’ just brush over the £2770 price tag, shall we? A girl can dream…
- Becksondergaard. He Loves Me Scarf. £45. Available here. While I tend to walk around in what is apparently becoming my ‘trademark’ over sized gold scarf from Switzerland, I am a big fan of collecting scarves, particularly if they are either vintage, or vintage in style. This Becksondergaard is adorable in both name and look, the He Loves Me Scarf. How many of us spent our childhood playfully picking apart flowers to see if *insert name here* ‘loved’ us? If only life was as simple as our love lives being decided by whether a flower has an odd or even number of petals!
- Smythson. Mara Textured-Leather Jewellery Box. £555. Available here. I’ve always had rather eclectic tastes, and Smythson for me is a brand which oozes class and sophistication. I’ve always adored everything that they produce in the same gleeful was as I do every Chanel or Chloé collection, and I’m especially excited now that Smythson has moved into the realm of beautiful leather cases for our technology. They always produce to the highest quality, making the £555 price tag well worth it.
- Kiki de Montparnasse. Amour Sleeveless Silk-Satin Robe. £320. Available here. I’m a woman who feels most at ease with herself when lounging in bed with a good book. I take great pride in choosing what I will wear for such lazy Sundays; I’m not someone who throws on a pair of tracksuit bottoms and an old t-shirt. Therefore, its no wonder that this beautiful, navy blue silk-satin robe caught my eye. Let’s face it, I’m someone who considers owning a boudoir dressing area as fairly high on my lifelong wish list. Priorities, clearly.
- Bella Freud. Signature Incense, Wood & Oud Scented Candle. £38. Available here. Like most of us, I think, my candle scent tastes change from spring/summer to autumn/winter. While in the summer, I prefer floral, clean, beachy scents, in winter I prefer to stock up on two types of candles; Christmas scents (spiced apple being my all time favourite) and woody, earthy scents. It’s as if lighting a scented candle makes me feel instantaneously better with the current temperature; I find summer heat more bearable with a beachy candle burning, and equally I feel instantly warmer the moment I light a woody candle (and no, I believe its for more than just the obvious reason of there being a naked flame present). It’s no surprise then that at this time of year, this Bella Freud candle was bound to catch my eye.
- The Estate Yard. Deer Fine Bone China Mug. £12. Available here. I’m yet to meet someone who doesn’t collect mugs. Most of us don’t realise that we do, until one day, we reach into the cupboard with our latest china purchase, and find that we have no option but to balance the new mug precariously on top of all the rest. I know that its not just me – being an avid coffee drinker, I’ve seen inside the mug cupboards of so many people over the years, I know that its a national ‘problem’. Nevertheless, its not one that I plan to change anytime soon, and so here you go, I’m throwing in a mug, perfect for winter cocoa, soup, and of course, my much needed fuel: coffee.
- Mod Cloth. Streak of Success Skirt. $59.99. Available here. It may be bitterly cold outside, but throw on a thick pair of tights (or several) and I’d still be happy to head out in a skirt. This navy skirt from Mod Cloth is perfect year-round, in keeping with the midi-skirt trend that has been around for so long now (which I will never tire of). I especially love the simplicity of the white band detail. So simple, so versatile and perfect.
- Jimmy Choo. Attila Embossed Patent-Leather Point-Toe Flats. £375. Available here. Black flats are my staple shoe. I walk my way through about 5 pairs a year. Generally I choose suede, rotating between a contrasting toe-style or an over sized bow. Sometimes, however, I do something crazy and choose patent leather… you know, in case I ever leave my mirror at home and I need to check my reflection.
- Sweaty Betty. Double Time Run Tank. £60. Available here. It’s January, a time of fitness-related new year resolutions that only about 3% of us will stick at until next year. Mine is to take up pilates again. It would be a much easier resolution to stick to if I lived in London, land of the free yoga/pilates classes in every park, any day, any time, you can guarantee you’ll find a yoga mad group flexing on the grass. Try that in Derby, and people stare. It seems to be acceptable in Paris as long as your French, and you’ll be considered laughing stock if you try it in Italy or super-relaxed Spain. Nevertheless, I am determined to try, wherever I may find myself. First things first, I need the perfect pilates wardrobe, and Sweaty Betty has proven to be a great place to start.
- Sweaty Betty. Easy Run Capris. £55. Available here.
- Bare Minerals. Bare Skin Perfecting Face Brush. $28. Available here. Choosing the right makeup brush can be as important as choosing the right makeup in achieving that flawless, au naturel look. Choose the wrong brush, and you could be left looking blotchy, patchy, with brush strokes as visible as the Mona Lisa. I’ve heard great things about this brush from Bare Minerals for creating a flawless look, and I hope to soon be able to try it out for myself.
- Nip+Fab. Bee Sting Fix Eye Night. £14.95. Available here. It’s the latest crazy to sweep the celebrity world; the use of bee venom to ‘plump’ up the face and reduce and prevent wrinkles. I may be only twenty-two, but I’ve always believed that anti-aging skin care starts early – its much easier to prevent wrinkles from appearing than it is to remove them once they’re there, after all. While there are plenty of much pricier bee venom creams, potions and lotions to choose from, I would prefer to start with Nip+Fab’s budget-friendly version. Who knows, perhaps its the secret to maintaining my youth that I’ve been searching for?
- Clothbound Classics. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens. £11.29. Available here. Being a bookworm, I could not compile a wishlist without including a book or two. I’m a big fan of the classics, and Dickens is no exception. Being the artistic sort, it only makes sense that I would yearn for this beautiful clothbound version of my favourite of his novels: Great Expectations, don’t you think? A range of classics have been given the same classy treatment, and are available here.
- MAC. Punk Couture Eyeshadow. $40. Available here in Spring 2014. This one is not yet available for another few months, but I already have my eye fixed, waiting impatiently. I know what I like and what I don’t when it comes to my makeup, I’m not one for experimenting for bold eye shadows (unless a camera is involved), preferring neutral shades, venturing only as far as deep blacks, plums and navys for a night out smokey eye. This pallet is teetering on the edge of my comfort zone, consisting of both pale pinks and smoky navy, but its not quite anything like I’ve ever used before, and so I am excited to experiment, ever so slightly.
- Missoni Home Husky Throw. £248. Available here. Patterned blankets go hand-in-hand with chilly English winters, don’t you think? There’s nothing I love more than snuggling up beneath a stack of blankets, with my scented candles burning, a good book in my hand, and a mug of steaming cocoa at my side, cosy in my beautiful dressing gown, while the snow is falling outside. Wintery perfection.