Today, I’m going for vintage (I blame my binge-reading #GIRLBOSS yesterday afternoon), and so a bit more imagination than usual will probably be required to see this outfit in quite the same way that I do. That’s the great thing about vintage; rarely does it appear before you, a bright, sparkling gem of a find. Usually, you have to be willing to painstakingly rake through every corner of every charity/thrift shop in town to find that diamond in the rough, and even then, it takes oodles of imagination to see what it could be, because in that moment, the sad little thing hanging limp in the hanger in your grip is nothing more than an ill fitting, tattered bit of rag. But once you’re smothered it in some TLC and added a personal touch, voila, you find yourself with a completely unique look, rather than simply being another fashionista in Topshop and Urban Outfitters (not that there is anything wrong with that either, of course).
PS. My use of the term ‘vintage’ is very lax… anything from the twentieth century is classed as vintage, in my opinion. Hell, anything pre-2010 is vintage, to me! Such as, you know.. these circa 1990s shorts…
Also, this is probably my most experimental outfit yet, and just goes to show that while this OOTD project started very much with myself in mind, sometimes my mind will stay into photo shoot territory, and I’ll find myself beginning my day by styling imaginary models. I find that it’s a great way to prepare myself for a day of fashion-driven productivity, like a morning exercise. But never, in all my years, have I ever pieced together plaid and tweed – or any outfit, for that matter, and thought, ‘you know what this needs? A sequined turtleneck. I can’t even stand the feel of a turtleneck’s high collar against the skin of my neck… my neck needs it’s space. I’m more surprised than anyone by today’s look… nevertheless, I love it.
1. Beyond Retro Vintage Casual Shorts. £18. Available here.
2. Malene Birger Zio Sequined Turtleneck Top. £325. Available here.
3. Burberry Brit Plaid Cotton Shirt. £250. Available here.
4. River Island Black Metal Trim Platform Ankle Boots. £50. Available here.
5. Michael Michael Kors Jet Set Textured-Leather Tote in Burnt Orange. £220. Available here.
6. American Apparel Ribbed Modal Over-the-Knee Socks in Navy. £11. Available here.
7. My Flash Trash Dipped Amber Necklace. £15. Available here.
8. Forever 21 Antiqued Faux Stone Ring Set. £2.50. Available here.
9. Forever 21 Stacked Midi Ring Set. £3.50. Available here.
10. Forever 21 Etched Faux Stone Ring Set. £3.50. Available here.
11. Dorothy Perkins Black Casual Skinny Belt. £4. Available here.